A healthy, hot breakfast in a minute! This meal-in-a-biscuit is hubby’s new fave. You don’t have to go to a drive-through to get a sausage biscuit! And you don’t have to consume all the fat, carbs, and calories, either.
You can make these tasty biscuits from scratch in less than 30 minutes! Refrigerate leftovers, then pop one in the microwave any time you want a quick, hot, healthy snack or breakfast treat.
These healthy biscuits are low carb, with a minimal amount of all purpose flour — just enough to give them that biscuity texture. Almond flour, garlic powder, Greek yogurt, eggs and butter all mix up to create a healthy, savory biscuit that pairs well with the low fat turkey sausage and melty cheddar cheese. Try dipping them in sugar-free maple syrup or strawberry jam. Yummmmm.
- 1 cup almond flour
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 3 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, about 1 cup, shredded
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 4 tablespoons cold butter
- 2 oz sharp cheddar, cut into 12 small, 1/4″ thick cubes (as pictured)
- 6 turkey sausage patties, cut in half (I use Jimmy Dean’s)
- Preheat oven to 400F and place oven rack in center position.
- In medium bowl, mix flours, baking powder, garlic powder, and salt with a spoon until well combined. Pour mixture into food processor, and sprinkle with cubed butter. Pulse processor until mixture is combined and slightly crumbly (or you can cut butter into flour with a knife).
- Pour flour mixture into large mixing bowl and stir in parsley.
- Stir in shredded cheese and toss well to coat.
- Add yogurt and beaten egg, mixing until well combined. Batter should be solid enough to form a ball.
- Spray a 12-muffin tin with spray oil. Using a large spoon (such as a soup spoon), scoop batter into equal portions in the muffin tins.
- Using the back of the soup spoon, make an imprint in the center of each muffin and insert a sausage piece and a piece of cheddar into each indentation.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until beginning to brown on top and set. (These do not get real brown on the top, but the sides and bottom brown nicely.)
- Allow to cool a few minutes before serving. Refrigerate or freeze leftovers, which can be defrosted overnight in the fridge and then microwaved for 30 seconds to 1 minute each, depending on your microwave.