When it’s cold outside chili can be one of the healthiest dinner choices, as long as you choose healthy ingredients. This chili is fresh, loaded with veggies, and super easy cuz you throw it all in a slow cooker.
You can add almost any vegetable to this chili, but time and experimentation have brought me to this recipe – I think it’s the best! Toppings are optional (and yummy). Serves 8.
1 medium onion, chopped
1 green or red bell pepper, chopped
3 -4 cloves garlic, diced
1 medium zucchini, chopped
1 medium yellow squash, chopped
1 pound ground turkey
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon chili pepper flakes
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 6 oz can tomato paste
1 14 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 (14.5 ounce) can beef broth
1 can mild Rotel (tomatoes and green chilies)
1 can black beans, drained
1 can kidney beans, drained
1 (3.5 oz) can diced green chilies
1/2 cup frozen or canned corn
salt and pepper
1/2 cup chopped cilantro, stems removed
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1 cup sour cream
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Coat a large frying pan with spray olive oil and heat over medium-high heat. Cook bell pepper, onion, and garlic until onions are soft and somewhat translucent, 3-5 min. Add to slow cooker.
- Add zucchini and yellow squash to pan and cook until it begins to sweat, 5 to 10 minutes. Transfer to slow cooker and stir.
- Brown turkey in the hot frying pan over medium high heat (spray again with oil if needed), stirring with a wooden spoon to break apart as much as possible. Season with chili powder, coriander, oregano, chili flakes, and tomato paste, and mix until meat is evenly coated with seasonings. Add turkey to slow cooker and mix in thoroughly with veggies.
- Add to slow cooker: tomatoes, Rotel, garlic powder and onion powder, black and kidney beans, green chilies, and corn, stirring until well incorporated. Add half of beef stock; if chili is “soupy” you don’t need the other half.
4. Cook on high 3 – 4 hours, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Ladle chili into serving bowls. Top with sour cream, green onion, cilantro, and cheddar cheese, if desired, and serve.